Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Documentary Overload

There was nothing on TV today so I hit up The History Channel. I love all things historical and often wish I had majored in it in college (I didn't because I figured the only thing that degree would be good for is writing books nobody but college kids would read.)

Anyway, I got sucked into several documentaries. The first was an expose' on the Ku Klux Klan. I'm sure it goes without saying but they are a terrible group. I think it is really important to learn about this kind of stuff as a means of preventing history from repeating itself.

The next documentary was on cults. A family member of mine started a cult and is serving consecutive prison terms for his actions. My dad watched some of this program with me and he shared with me some stories of this awful person and the things he did. Even when things are hard to hear, I feel it is important to know your family history. (Incidentally, Mr. Case's grandfather was in a concentration camp as a youth and we have been privileged to hear some of his stories.)

The last show was about snipers. I always learn something new. Apparently, during the Vietnam war, the Viet Cong would employ many female snipers. One notoriously brutalized and of the people she captured by slashing them.

My dad says I need to learn to enjoy watching lighter stuff on TV. Sorry if this post is odd or uninteresting. I can simply never pass up a documentary! I suppose everyone will be glad when regularly scheduled programming returns.

No comments: